Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Random Stuff

It's been really fun playing with my new baby (Nikon P7000). Though I'm not really good at photography yet, but I'm willing to learn and experiment more!

It was a Monday and had lunch service in Uni. We're desperately trying hard to finish our meal vouchers by the end of this year lol.

***Every hospitality students has a total of 15 or 18 meal vouchers worth Rm15 each. We can use it to dine in at any hospitality restaurants (operated by students)**

Seafood Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Beef Tenderloin with Bearnaise Sauce

Our server preparing for the dessert; Banana Flambe
I think our server was the only one whom succeeded to actually Flambe nicely with big flames :)
Banana Flambe
***

Right after my theory class, it was my kitchen practical. Somehow I was not fully committed for this week's class. Perhaps I've been demoralized by the previous classes? Not really sure.

Duck Breast Salad with Asian Dressing
I'll just be frank. I'm not good at cooking. Also, I suck badly with Asian flavours. I do not know how to match the flavours well and neither do I know their cooking methods well. I just have more passion towards western cooking.
This is the first time, for my appetizer, I had not gotten a SINGLE COMPLIMENT on my plate.
Here were the critics:
  • Plating OUT (heart sank)
  • Duck, over cooked (But to me its still pink in the middle? Well, the chef is always right)
  • Gastrique sauce too thick (Though thick, but I loved the flavour. It's definitely a western sauce)
  • Salad dressing, OUT. (I used lemon and thought it was 'Asian'. There were fish sauce and soy sauce available, but I just couldn't imagine the flavours. I need to do more research on Asian cooking :/ )
Conclusion, Asian cooking is just not really my forte.


Beef Tenderloin with Bearnaise Sauce
I just ate that for lunch lol. Okay, this plating wasn't my nice one. Somehow, I forgot to snap the picture of my presented one. For my main course, it was okay? Definitely not great.
The good comments:
  • Potato gratin, Ok
  • Glazed vegetables, Ok
  • Plating has harmony (As in, the combination of colours and textures)
The critics:
  • Bearnaise too thick
  • Beef overcooked (Actually it was more than overcooked. It was BURNT!)

Pear Frangipani Tart
For dessert, so far until now, I never had a problem. Pastry is my forte. I never fear when it comes to desserts. My pears were poached to perfection, my tart shell was nice, my almond filling was great. Sadly, the focus isn't on desserts but the main course. For those who are good in hot cooking, but not so good in desserts, definitely has more bonus. However, for people like me, who is a total opposite of the hot cooking category, has more disadvantages. I need to work even harder! 3 more classes left before the final examination and graduation! I cannot afford to just get a pass! I want to Pass with flying rainbow colours!


3 comments:

carpe diem said...

U will...jia yiou

Legolas said...

On Top Chef, they all feared doing desserts, but you're good at it. Padma and Tom will be so proud.

All the best in your exam!

SynchingZincInc said...

OMG bearnaise yum!

Leggie: you watch Top Chef too? LOL

Helix