Just roughly 2 months back, I was all so hyped up when I got selected to participate in the Culinaire competition. But as each rehearsal presentation passes by, my motivation and strive for perfection just faded away. The idea was always being rejected. This cannot, that cannot. There are even suggestions not to use berries for garnishing (Wth!). Needed to catch up with classes but then, due to the heavy load of stress, I do not know how many times I've skipped class just to finish preparing for the presentation, hoping that there'll be no more rejections as I do not have much time left to keep changing.
Despite that, even on the day before the competition, I only came up with so many last minute changes. There were too many of this and that ideas coming in. I gave up on the last day and just go with the flow. I knew I did all I could but would not say is my 101% at all. If a few more days were given to me, I'd probably be able to showcase that effort. Oh yeah, and before that, I was in the Petit Fours category. Seriously, not the best category to pick.
Anyhow~ These were my 3rd rehearsal presentation pieces.
Presentation with External Judges;
THE FINAL DAY!!
I was indeed happy with what I had put up with. I did not sleep the whole night and was in Uni preparing and packing. Unfortunately, whatever that I had displayed on the real day was quite disappointing.
I forgot to bring so many things! I left the chopping board in the van, causing me unable to cut my last minute items properly. But lucky enough there was a cake board and I used it as a replacement. Also left out a few elements for my petit fours causing me to lose marks practically. Most importantly, if you can see my macarons, there are so empty and ugly is due to the horrible van driver. My chocolates all broke due to the first bump in Taylor's. My heart sank. But I knew I still got to go on. Just need to find whatever ways I could. The last minute display piece was an ugly one LOL. Seriously, does this look carnival at all? =_="
When I arrived at the convention center at 5am, I got to my station and started setting up bit by bits. Moments later, I realized the few more hotels coming in and I was like WOAH! Their show piece and desserts were like 10000x better than mine. I felt so intimidated. I lost my confidence immediately till I just felt like walking out. I guess that I have a very bad ego hahaha!
But then again, if I'm not mistaken, I was the only student participating in that category. I saw Mandarin Oriental, Sheraton, J.W. Marriot and many other hotels. I did not see a single student! Scary~
After finishing my display, I looked at it from a distance and I thought, "Hey! Not that bad la from my standard! Taylor's don't even major in teaching pastry AT ALL!". Walked out happily and went back to uni and clear my mess =_=! From that moment, I knew I was a free little bird! I'm now back to my normal life with loads of free time!
Nevertheless, despite this will be my first and last competition and how much I hated it, but there are definitely lots of things that I have learnt personally. I hated chocolate, but after under going the amount of stress, I forced myself to temper chocolate till I got it perfect =_=! Awesome much! Starting to love playing with chocolate now hahaha!
More pics to come I guess ;)





4 comments:
glad u still persevere! at least ur work is showcased on the actual day :)
congrats alex~ *silai hugs*
it's all about gaining the experience! hard work never goes to waste ;)
Very maki-esque.
Post a Comment