Thursday, June 9, 2011

Entremet!

Halfway through the semester in Pastry class, and since it is a new course, the chef lecturer wanted to try something new for one of the practical assessment; in a group, making an entremet. It was pretty interesting as we've the absolute freedom to design our own entremet.

I was excited as usual (since it's related to pastry anyway). Loads of ideas popped into my mind. The first idea had too much elements going on in it but since it was just a general idea, we can only decide after the real product.

Our first idea was;
  • Chocolate hazelnut base with dried cranberries
  • Salted Caramel
  • Chocolate Ganache
  • Earl Grey Jelly
  • Passionfruit mousseline
Kinda too rich don't you think? xD. Well, based on the looks, it's a big no no and taste wise, it is a bit weird and the caramel was too overwhelming. It is now time for a new idea as there is not much time left to waste @@".

Photobucket
[F-A-I-L!!]
Photobucket

After much consideration from making the first experiment, me and Joe had concluded to remain a few elements which are the chocolate hazelnut base and passionfruit mousseline as we believe that it's the best flavour. Later on, Joe came up with an idea of a banana flavour combining with mascarpone but not sure on how to make it. The moment I got his idea, my hands started to get itchy again and get down into my kitchen and start on my second experiment.

This time, it's going to be;
  • Chocolate hazelnut base
  • Printed sponge
  • Banana Mascarpone
  • Oreo Crumbs
  • Passionfruit Mousseline
  • Chocolate Glace
Less complex and looks more refined. However, the cake looks a lil not presentable due to the lack of proper equipments that my house can offer =/. But it's better than nothing right? Who am I to complain x.x!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then, it was just a week before the final day! I was kinda nervous and erm, hands got a lil itchy again and started making my 3rd experiment. I'm not sure why but I just felt like making it. Okay, I know this time I got a little lazy. It was not a 101% percent full effort. Was too lazy to make the chocolate glace and just used cocoa powder instead hehe.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And now, the final day has arrived!! Everyone was worried that the entremet will not turn out nicely.... :O! Early in the morning when I was just in time for the briefing before we could begin, the chef had informed us that we need to finish our entremet at 11.30a.m as he has to rush off with another class. It is quite unfair as the other groups had a lil more extra luxurious time to finish their cake nicely. I was quite unhappy with that fact and had to speed things up. Then, the airconditioning system broke down causing the kitchen to be so stuffy and hot. I have to say, I cannot work in such condition or else I'd end up being a grumpy biatch. Woops-

Halfway through, I went to the artist kitchen to assist Joe in making the chocolate art. It was then almost time to present the cake to the chef. Had to rush again. Urgh! Quickly made the mousseline and chocolate glace and let it set. We begged the chef to extend the time and he could only give us until 11.55 MAX. Well, at least it's better than nothing.

Thank God the cake was set enough when removed from the ring. Otherwise it would collapse and ruined leaving a huge hole in my heart. The presentation of the cake could be done better if given with more time. But oh well, I am indeed quite happy with the end product. Another lecturer seems to like it a lot as he was eating non stop? :)

There's something special in this entremet which I would not reveal but you'd have to try it to experience the booms and shingz effect from it *_*v

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

J-boy said...

Wow the final product looks good! awesome colours! :)

and i have a question.. with all the experiments that u did, what did u do with the remainder of the cakes? i bet your family must have lots of cake to eat hahaha :P

- a L E x - said...

J-Boy: Thanks! :D

Hmm, sadly my mum cant take them as they're kinda sweet and dad does not appreciate any western food. So yea, just gave away to my friends lol...

William said...

The last entremet reminds me of "Jaws".

- a L E x - said...

@William: Becareful when u eat such cakes :P

Robinn T said...

owh the 5th last stripes really looked like rainbows!!! but the others' colors looked a lil too artificial to take in. I'll take the rainbow striped one. At least its much more natural looking!

good going!

Vonn said...

omg..im dem jeles + beh tahan liao

savante said...

Always curious who eats all the cakes after! :O Surely not the students only!

J-boy said...

Ooooohh maybe next time u can send some to me haha :P

- a L E x - said...

Tempus: Hehe thanks! :) Well, final product sure give better attention xD

Vonn: tu la.......dunwan BC =(((((((( and not taylor's anymore T_T!!!!!!

Savante: Hahahaha, well if not me, then my friends lor =x

J-boy: Yea, sure. I dun mind :)